Unknown Internet connection traffic
Agonamolato
2007-12-23 08:56:00 UTC
I am using a GPRS connection 115.2 kbps.

I have allowed Microsoft Automatic Updating to download some of the latest
updates (the size of updates I chose was about 4mb). My internet connection
shows I have received 17mb so far. I assume it is Window's automatic
updating, but the Automatic Update Icon in the right hand bottom information
area shows 0%! Clicking (left or right) on this "yellow shield" does not
open anything. Windows Task Manager does not show any running applications.

Question 1: How can I see what Automatic Update is doing once I allowed it
to go ahead?
Question 2: How can I see what application is using my internet connection
and if I want to, how can I stop it, other than closing the Internet
Connection?
JimPTD
2008-01-02 00:52:48 UTC
Couple ways to see updates logs are:
1. Eventlog (Start, Run, eventviewer)
2. Start, Run, %windir%\WindowsUpdate.log

Item#2 will show detailed information of everytime machine connected to
windows update.
Scroll to very bottom of log for latest update log info.

Item#1 look in Application logs Source column for 'Automatic Live Update' or
Windows Update events.

Otherwise task manager should show 'wupdate.exe' process but wont indicate
progress. Event log should show you that.